Richard B. Kaplan, DDS
“I strive to create an attractive, pleasing, and healthy smile that is natural and enhances my patients’ appearance while improving their self-esteem. To change a person's life by changing their smile is a very rewarding feeling. I feel honored that they trust me to help them improve their smiles, their health, and their lives.”
Dr. Kaplan employs his specialty training and years of experience to provide people of all ages with healthy and beautiful smiles. He derives great satisfaction from the fact that orthodontic treatment can improve the confidence that comes with a healthy, attractive smile. For his education, Dr. Kaplan attained the following certificates:
- Bachelor of Science, Biology – Brooklyn College
- Doctor of Dental Surgery – New York University College of Dentistry
- Orthodontic Residency – University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
In order to stay current on the latest advances in orthodontics, Dr. Kaplan regularly attends continuing education lectures and seminars and belongs to an orthodontic study club. He is also a member of the following professional organizations:
- American Association of Orthodontists
- Northeastern Society of Orthodontists
- Connecticut State Society of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- Connecticut State Dental Association
- Naugatuck Valley Dental Society
Dr. Kaplan has been published in national and state dental journals and has contributed to an orthodontic textbook.
Honors and Awards
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Honor Dental Society
- New York University Founder’s Day Honors Award for Academic Excellence
- New York University Undergraduate Periodontics Award
- Yale / New Haven Hospital's Department of Dentistry Certificate of Appreciation for over 25 years of service to the academic, professional, and personal growth of the residents and staff.
Dr. Kaplan served as a captain in the United States Air Force Dental Corps.
In the Orthodontic Community
For over 28 years, Dr. Kaplan has served as an assistant clinical professor at Yale University School of Medicine as both a lecturer and attending orthodontist at Yale-New Haven Hospital, Department of Dentistry. In addition, he voluntarily worked at the Yale Pediatric Dentistry Center which enabled children from low income families to receive orthodontic treatment. Connecticut Magazine has consistently selected Dr. Kaplan as one of the best orthodontists according to a state wide survey of dentists.
Outside the Office
Dr. Kaplan was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. He and his wife, Karin, reside in Woodbridge, CT where they raised their family. In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his family, weightlifting, watching sporting events, and photography.